When looking through the topics discussed this week, there was one concept in particular that stuck with me, The Spotlight Effect. It is the reason I feel awkward in social situations and why I generally avoid big parties.
The Spotlight Effect is the tendency for people to overestimate how much others are watching and noticing them, the good and the bad (Gilovich & Savitsky, 1999). In other words, when a hypothetical person is walking down the street and almost trips, they would automatically feel as if everyone saw that minor slip-up and are laughing at them. On the flipside, that hypothetical person would also automatically expect people to pay particular notice when something good happens to them, like they answer a question right in class or have a good hair day. The truth is, people aren’t really paying that much attention to us, though we feel as if the whole world is watching.
A personal example is my history with parties, which I try to avoid most of the time. Due to The Spotlight Effect or my general paranoia, I feel almost suffocated at parties due to the belief that everyone is watching me. No matter how much I tell myself that these people are going to the party to have fun and not watch me awkwardly stand in the corner, I still feel as if everyone notices when I am standing alone. That when I almost slip because the floor is wet with beer, they are all laughing to themselves. And that when I accidently spill a drink on my shirt, the stain might as well glow in the dark because everyone is sure to notice. Of course this doesn’t hold true for where parties I consume alcohol, which seems to cancel out The Spotlight Effect. Similar to when negative things happen, I also expect people around me to pay special attention when good things are happening. Like when I feel I’m wear a particularly nice looking outfit, I expect people to be beside themselves over how cute it is.
The Spotlight Effect is a difficult thing to overcome. I’ve been aware of this concept for some years now and I still fall prey to it. Though it’s not the most urgent matter to overcome, being aware that people aren’t really paying much attention to you could help a person function more comfortably in a big crowd.
Gilovich, T., & Savitsky, K. (1999). The Spotlight effect and the illusion of transparency: Egocentric assessments of how we are seen by others. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 8(6), 165-168.
Monday, February 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment